“Buy” a nag free version

January 6, 2010
By Mike

I was planning on turning off the nag page, but on second thoughts, I have decided to leave it on, hoping that it will serve as an incentive to raise a bit of money for paying for the Wizz RSS server.

And here is the incentive – If you’d like Wizz RSS to stop displaying the nag page, make a donation through PayPal (no matter how small the donation), and you’ll be able to download a nag free version of Wizz RSS.

If you are unable to make a donation, you can still deactivate the nag page by following the step-by-step instructions outlined in this blog post. The nag free version of Wizz RSS contains exactly the same change as that outlined in the blog post. This means that no one is forced to make a donation to rid themselves of the nag page.

If you don’t mind living with the nag page, there are no other changes in the nag free version. So you will not be missing out on any changes, improvements, or bug fixes.

If you have already made a PayPal donation, you should receive an email asking you to claim your nag free version of Wizz RSS.

Over the years that Wizz RSS has been around, many people made donations through ClickBank. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the old ClickBank account, and am thus unable to add those donor email address to the database. So, if you made a donation through ClickBank, please get in touch with me, and I’ll add your email address to the donor database.

10 Responses to “Buy” a nag free version

1. stevepar on January 25, 2010 at 1:48 am

Hi Mike,

It’s great to see that the save feeds to server and restore feed from server functionality have been restored. Also, I am looking forward to being rid of the pesky nag-page. Does this mean that the Wizz project has now been revived and will be supported in the future? I apologise if the question seems a bit redundant considering your recent actions, but it would be good to know for sure.

Whatever your answer, thank you for this application. It has been clear to me over the last few weeks how much I rely on the Wizz add-on. I haven’t found any other RSS reader add-on to replace it with and so have continued to use Wizz but had this niggling question wondering what solution I would use for reading RSS feeds in the back of my mind for several weeks now.

With best wishes,
    Steve

2. Mike on January 25, 2010 at 7:28 am

@stevepar: At this point in time, all I plan for the future of Wizz RSS is bug fixes and maintaining compatibility with future releases of Firefox – Nothing more.

3. stevepar on January 25, 2010 at 7:44 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your speedy response and clarification. I, for one, will be content to continue to use Wizz under such a scenario.

Frankly, there is, in my view, often an unhealthy obsession with net security. That’s not to say net security isn’t important as clearly there is a large number of vile and disgusting individuals who get a kick out of exploiting vulnerabilities and causing harm to others. However, I have observed on many occasions that fixing one problem often simply leads to creating another at the same time. It seems to be a constant battle that can never be won.

Best wishes,
    Steve

4. Mike on January 25, 2010 at 8:06 am

@stevepar: You are 100% correct about the unhealthy obsession. It is also true that many others exploit the unhealthy obsession, using FUD to drive a hidden agenda.

5. Joe on January 30, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Hi Mike, Thanks for all the amazing work with Wizz!.

I have upgraded to patched versionso I am now confident that the risk of a threat is very remote.
    Quick question however, since I am also using Norton doe this make the risk even more remote? in other words do you know if Norton also is aware of this type of vulnerability and takes actions against it?

6. Mike on January 30, 2010 at 4:23 pm

@Joe: Sorry, but Norton isn’t going to make any difference at all. Neither will any other firewall or virus checking software. The vulnerability is exploited by pretty innocuous looking JavaScript embedded in the XML. Not even NoScript will stop it.

7. Michael on February 19, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I donated thru Paypal and downloaded the nag free version. I still get the nag tab though.

8. Mike on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm

@Michael: Errrmmmmm… AFAIK that would be impossible. Did you restart Firefox after installing the “nag free” version?

If the display of the nag page persists, try this: uninstall Wizz RSS and restart Firefox. Then reinstall the “nag free” version.

9. Mariusz on February 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Hi Mike,
    first i want to thank you for WizzRSS, it is exact way i wish to read rss new.
    Glad to see it being kept upgraded.

I found unusuall (i think) bug.
    Is there some email address i can contact you in this matter?

10. Mike on February 25, 2010 at 4:24 pm

@Mariusz: You are welcome to post bug details in the blog. If bugs are posted in the blog it gives other users (Especially if the bug is obscure or difficult to replicate) the chance to test and offer additional feedback.

If you want to contact me directly, you can email me at mikek01 at telkomsa dot net